Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chasing down the last Piece...

Though I've been searching for various armor sets since the Transmogrification announcement was made, there are still pieces of armor that have eluded me on the auction house and as drops. Sometimes I do find the piece I want- for way more than I want to pay. Sometimes I see it drop in a random dungeon finder group, and watch as it gets disenchanted by someone else who won the greed roll (as you know, items now bind on pick-up if they are rolled "need" in LFG). If my time in Trade Chat has taught me anything, it is that I'm not the only one. My friends lists have at least 10 people at any given time who have asked me to keep an eye out for particular items, in exchange for them doing the same for me. So far I've only located items for one person- they were looking for the Outlander's Facewrap, and I sent it to them free of charge- I picked it up for under 5 gold (I've since sold 2 of those for 2.5k gold each).

The point I'm making, though, is that it can be an incredibly frustrating thing. For my paladin, Cornelladin, I had decided to build an outfit around the Barricade of Eternity, which I picked up last year some time when our guild retro-raided Eye of Eternity. Eventually I may end up using the Vanguard Plate, but right now I have her in the Reinforced Sapphirium Battlearmor. Now, because I don't raid current content much, and definitely not with my paladin, I couldn't get a shoulder token (i.e. I was too lazy to PuG for a raid) and I had to track down a shoulder slot item that matched (I used goggles for her head, as she is an engineer). Thankfully, Pauldrons of Edward the Odd look exactly the same as the tier shoulders, and are BoE, so I could get them from the auction house (or trade chat!).

It took me about a month to track down these shoulders, and during about 2/3 of that time there was a pair of the shoulders on the auction house for 28k gold- way more than I was willing to spend. I barked in trade chat, offering 5k gold and enduring numerous whispers from people telling me I should just run a new heroic and get a better set of shoulders. Eventually I found a pair for 1k on the AH and happily went on my way.

That's the success story. The truth is, I'm still trying to track down pieces of the most sought-after sets, and I don't see an end in sight. Slowly but surely, though, I am outfitting my characters in the way I've always wished.

No comments:

Post a Comment